Invite a UA Graduate Student “Consultant” to Your School
We welcome you to invite UA Graduate Students in Science, Math, or Technology to your school. Consultants are a free resource for eligible teachers* and students are reimbursed for their time.
UA Grad Student Science, Math & Technology Consultants can:
- Give presentations and/or lead activities related to their STEM areas of expertise. Consultants can customize for teacher needs, and present for classrooms, field trips, after school clubs etc.
- Meet with teachers face to face or remotely to advise them on content areas and provide them insight into cutting edge research in their fields.
- Come to classrooms to serve as a consultant and mentor for students in STEM areas.
UPDATE: Request consultants for however many class periods you needs (e.g. disregard info. on posts that says 2-3 max).
Simply follow the 2 easy steps below to find a UA Graduate Student “Consultant”
STEP 1: Find a UA student consultant using one of the 3 methods below:
- Click on the title of a presentation in the column on the right. Important DO: Click on the name of the presentation, DO NOT click on the name of the speaker. OR
- Search for a key word in the search box on the upper right. OR
- Choose a category from the pull down categories menu on the right.
STEP 2: Use the comments box on the consultants presentation/consulting pages to invite the speaker to your class, other event or meeting. Please fill out all the information we ask you for on the presentation/consulting page.
Note on scheduling: You will be scheduling directly with a Graduate Student Science Consultant. Students post their availability, however they may not be able to make a visit that you request. Feel free to suggest multiple dates and please share the special needs of your classroom or event.
- Classroom visits (for presentations, hands on activities, “consulting” etc.).
- Consultants can work ~2-5 hours per school visit / meeting or can break their visits into more than one day (this depends entirely on the consultants availability and interest). Consultants are reimbursed for their time*
- Teachers are welcome to collaborate with others on inviting a consultant to their school, and to make requests to speakers.
- After school science clubs (MESA etc.), field trips, special events (family science nights, etc.)
- High School teachers for all grades from Cholla, Desert View, Pueblo, Sunnyside and Tucson Magnet High Schools.
- We especially encourage those teachers who work with 9th grade students to request speakers.
- Teachers who attended the Improving Teacher Quality ITQ workshops summer of 2008.
This program is funded by the following, all at the University of Arizona, Tucson: The Tucson Gear Up Program (Office of Early Academic Outreach), the NASA Space Grant Program (Department of Planetary Science), and the UA College of Science.